Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day Pictures, Images and Photos
St. Patrick's Day is one of those holidays I never really cared much about. In school, I always made sure to wear green to avoid the pinching, but once college rolled around, I really stopped caring. I'm not a barfly, and don't drink much, so the "green beer" never did it for me. I don't even think I have any Irish in me. BUT, now that I have kids, I love to get my festive on! And what better way to spice up an otherwise bland month (except for Strayer Week, of course!) than to dress up in green and green food!? Exactly.

The fun began for us yesterday, when we headed off to our friend Marcie's for a St. Patty's Day themed playdate. Everyone brought green snacks (green in color- not in environmental friendliness, although my snap peas would probably be considered environmentally friendly... right?), and wore green clothes. We decorated shamrock shaped sugar cookies with green frosting, made a green foam shamrock craft, and whooped it up in the backyard. I had a great time chatting with Marcie, Carol, Michelle, Courtney, Kristen, and Sarah, and Luke seemed to enjoy himself with the kiddos. Emma slept through the whole thing, so I'm not sure what she thought of it! :P




Then, today, we headed over to Brandi Fenton park for the Meetup Moms St. Patty's Day Craftdate slash Parkdate. The weather was pretty warm (upper 80's) and it was super sunny. Emma, again, slept through the whole thing, which was such a blessing because Luke was pretty high maintenance- running off to explore the park (this time with his buddy Jack), making the craft, eating green muffins, and playing in the play area. It was a relaxing morning overall, and I was happy that I got to chat a bit with my friends and catch up with some I haven't seen in awhile. Also, we managed to avoid sunburn... and its only March!





So for tonight I am trying to think of something festive to make for dinner. We don't have any corned beef (although it makes sense to me now why Costco had so much of it last weekend- duh!) but we do have potatoes. The Irish love potatoes, right?! And green things?! Maybe I'll make green mashed potatoes. Remember, I have an audience of a 2 year old and a man who will eat almost anything... and loves mashed potatoes. They're sure to be a hit!

Edited to Add: Never got my act together on the mashed potatoes. Made green french toast (dyed the egg/milk mixture!) and hash browns. Good enough...

No comments: