Monday, May 18, 2009

Mother's Day

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the strong, loving, caring, selfless, and exhausted mommys that I am blessed to know! This song makes me think of YOU!



This month, we did what Phil always jokes is "my way"... celebrate each holiday 3 times. Well, we celebrated Mother's Day in style... but only twice! First, we went up to Casa Grande to have a relaxing Sunday lunch with Phil's mom's side of the family, the Strayers. We made yummy cold cut sandwiches and had pie and tried to stay out of the heat. Luke and Gabe, as usual, were partners in crime, while Emma played it cool sitting on various laps and looking cute.



This past weekend, we headed up to Phoenix. On Saturday night, Rita, Victoria, and Jeremiah came over and we bar-b-qued with my parents at their house. It was potluck style. Victoria brought this awesome "Grill Pack" of assorted marinated meats from this store called Fresh n Easy, and Rita brought meditteranean side dishes- lavasch bread ("cracker bread"- we had a LOT of fun with that name...) hummus, etc. I brought the peach cobbler and margaritas and mom made a salad. It was delicious and SO much fun to catch up with the girls (and Jeremiah). I hadn't seen Rita since the day before Emma was born, and Victoria since... September!

The next day, Angie, Shawn, and Shelby came over and we made imitation Paradise Bakery Club sandwiches (on croissants!) They tasted just like the originals, only we didn't have to wrangle three kids in a restaurant... so much better! We swam, hung out, and ate a delicious DQ Ice Cream cake. Angie will be 27 soon (next weekend), so I bought her what she asked for... acrylic drinking cups from Costco. Yes. I know. I could have gotten her something pretty or fun, but I wanted to get her what I knew she wanted, and we Sniders and nothing if not excruciatingly practical. ;)



I also made the ladies a Mother's Day mix CD. I am a child of the 80's, I can't help it. I LOVE mix CDs. Its so fun to pick out meaningful songs I think that they would appreciate, arrange them in just the right order, and then design the CD label. :) The songs that I picked for my moms for their "Mellow Mother's Day Mix 2009" were...

Superwoman * Alisha Keys
Somebody's Hero * Jamie O'Neal
In My Daughers Eyes * Martina McBride
Because you Loved Me * Celine Dion
When You Come Back Down * Nickel Creek
Teach Your Children * Crosby, Stills, and Nash
In My Life * Beatles (but sung by Allison Crowe)
God Only Knows * The Beach Boys
You've Got a Friend * James Taylor
Your Raise Me Up * Josh Groban




No comments: